Chubwa Tea Estate derives its name from the local language “CHAH” “BOWA”. “CHAH” is a native name for tea and “BOWA” means planting. Thus “CHAHBOWA” gradually became ‘CHABUA’, the town beside the estate while the estate itself came to be known as CHUBWA.The tea estate occupies a unique place in the history of tea plantation. Tea was first discovered by Robert Bruce, a military officer who found it growing wild in the upper valley of the Brahmaputra, during the reign of the Ahom king, Chandrakanta Singha. In 1823 Robert Bruce met Maniram Devan, a Singpho Chieftain and the latter gave a few of the wild plants to him.In 1835 tea was first planted in upper Assam, at the confluence of the rivers, Dibru and Brahmaputra, but the plant couldn’t grow and finally perished. In 1836 tea saplings were planted in Chubwa, where it successfully grew. Hence Chubwa became the first successful tea planted area in India. The climate here is hot & humid and the estate receives an average annual rainfall of 200 to 250 cm. Chubwa is located along NH-37 and the railway line passes along the northern boundary of the Estate. It is well connected by Road, Railway & Air communications.
The foundation of the estate was laid in 1836 by the Chubwa Tea Company Ltd. and was taken over Tata Finlay in March 1983 and then by Amalgamated Plantations Pvt. Ltd. in March 2007.
Sustained efforts over the years bore a handsome fruit in 1995 when, the tea estate listed its highest produce of tea at 18.33 lakh kilograms.
|Mature Area||699.17 hectares|
|Immature Are||57.54 hectares|
|Fallow for Replanting||13.49 hectares|
|Total Tea Area||770.20 hectares|
|Annual Production of CTC & Orthodox Tea||23.15 lakh kilograms|
|VP Nursery||3.40 hectares|
|Shade nursery/rehab crop||3.68 hectares|
|Area not suitable for tea||129.85 hectares|
|Land used for Roads, Drains etc.||61.00 hectares|
|Land given to labour for cultivation||116.00 hectares|
|Land occupied for building & establishments||215.52 hectares|
|Land used for Aquaculture||10.50 hectares|
|Total Tea Production||15.82 lakh Kilograms|
|Total Estate Area||1309.76 hectares|
Garden Produce & Production Facility
Chubwa Tea Estate spread across 1309.76 hectares has a cultivation area of over 777.28 hectares and a production area that covers 929.89 hectares. The tea estate has the capacity to produce 23.15 lakh kilograms of CTC & Orthodox tea which is the final product that it has to offer. The plucking season here, begins in March, runs through the rest of the year and ends in December.
Fresh green tea leaves from the garden are plucked and processed in the factory which has the capacity is located within the estate. It is a dual manufacturing unit capable of processing both CTC & Orthodox tea. The produce is manually sorted, individually graded and packed separately in Paper sacks/PP woven sacks/liners, sealed/ stiched and marking of which is done with hand rollers using non porous ink.
People Welfare Commitments
Chubwa Tea Estate has 1711 permanent employees and during the peak season, it employs an additional 1300 temporary workers. The estate provides 1022 labour quarters to accommodate its
To safeguard their health and hygiene, scientifically designed drains have been built to remove sewage from the labour lines.
The estate has a 62 bedded hospital with general ward for male & female, maternity ward, minor OT, isolation ward and one full time Medical Officer, two pharmacists, one health assistant, 2 GNMs, 1 ANM, 3 nursing attendants & 2 dressers and one dispensary in the division.Immunization in accordance with government protocols is strictly followed here and with government aid, frequent health camps are conducted.
The estate has a highly dedicated medical team which is led by Dr. J.K. Das who has a vast experience of working in tea estates.
The estate runs 3 lower primary schools with 656 students on their attendance roll. There are also 2 crèches for children up to 6 years of age.
In a bid to make its residents self sufficient, the estate promotes vocational training. The training centre has the entire prescribed infrastructure to run Short Term MES courses. It has its own building comprising of a workshop, laboratory, class rooms, staff room, power supply both Government & captive, separate block of toilets for boys and girls, qualified faculties and staff.
The trainers at the centre are equipped to provide professional training to those who have enrolled themselves for the course and through rigorous training make them competent to find employment for themselves. At present the centre training on the following- Beautician, Plumbing, Electronics, Tailoring, Embroidery
A 45 member Mahila mandal and a group of dedicated link workers look into facilitating the community’s participation in different affairs. In the neighboring villages, the estate organizes various lab to land programs in order to encourage harmonious relationship building among the different residing communities and to uplift the rural poor.
Packed rations are issued to the workers to improve their quality of living. There are women’s groups and a club for adolescent girls called ‘Kishori’. These give the members the scope to interact with each other, discuss their problems and create awareness on various lifestyle issues. The estate also has clubs for the workers and staff members to encourage them to engage in recreational activities.
Chubwa Tea Estate has endeavoured to keep its commitments towards protecting the environment and contributing in its own way to sustain nature.
To conserve electricity, the estate uses ten solar powered lights for its fishery ponds.
All chemical and hospital waste materials are disposed on a yearly basis to government certified agencies.
Soil analysis is done on a yearly basis at the R&D section of Teok Tea Estate. Manures applied in the plantation are as per their recommendations.The application of bio fertilizers has been implemented to reduce the application of inorganic fertilizers which cause environmental hazards.
Certifications & Awards
ISO 22000 , SA 8000, Trustea & ETP
Family welfare award from ABITA , Panitola.
Lord Curzon, then Viceroy of India visited the estate and a section has been named after his visit as “Curzonbari”.
The Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru visited the estate and stayed overnight in’ burra bunglow’ with his friend Mr. Hill, then Manager of the Estate.
Mr. David Knoee (Director) Africa wood family trust and Mr. Sanjay Kumar (Program Director)Wood family trust, Uganda,Africa visited the estate on 6th. June, 2014.
Mr. Keith Hutjans (Director) Starbucks visited the estate in 28th June, 2014.